Lin family murder trial: jury to be sequestered from Monday while they consider verdict
Robert Xie trial: the key evidence
As the jury retires to consider its verdict, here are some of the key issues they will need to examine
If the jury in the long-running Lin family murder trial is still considering its verdict in the case this coming Monday, they will need to come to court with their pyjamas and a toothbrush.
With the 12-person panel about to begin deliberating on Wednesday, they were informed by Justice Elizabeth Fullerton that, as of Monday, rather than returning home at the end of the court day, they would be staying together at a hotel to help them focus on the task at hand.
“It’s absolutely critical at this stage that you have a focused and concentrated aptitude to the evidence and all that it gives rise to,” Justice Fullerton said.
“It’s with your concentrated and focused attention that your verdicts will be reached in the best way possible.”
Justice Fullerton told the jurors that they would be staying at a “commodious” hotel which had a conference room in which they could consider their verdict without distraction.
She would be on hand to answer any questions they had.
“You’ll be fed…[and] there will be an alcohol allowance…I haven’t decided on the size of that allowance yet, however I won’t be mean-spirited,” she said.
“Please come on Monday with your bags packed.”
The jury is expected to formally retire on Thursday to begin considering whether or not Crown Prosecutor, Mark Tedeschi QC has proven the guilt of the accused, Robert Xie, beyond reasonable doubt.
Mr Xie, 51, allegedly murdered his brother-in-law, Min “Norman” Lin, Min’s wife Lily, his two sons Henry, 11 and Terry, 9 and Lily’s aunt Irene in their North Epping home.
He is accused of creeping into the house in the early hours of July 18, 2009 and then beating the Lins to death with a hammer like object in their bedrooms.
He has pleaded not guilty, asserting that, far from harbouring resentment toward the Lin family, he had a close, loving relationship with them
His defence has also asserted that it is impossible for one man, in the dark, to murder five people in the way the Crown alleges.
10/06/14 major update trial aborted after jury discharged
Robert Xie: Murder trial aborted as new evidence emerges over Lin family killings
A Supreme Court judge has aborted the trial of the man accused of murdering five members of the same family in Sydney.
Discharging the jury, the judge said new evidence had emerged late last month which may make a substantial difference to the trial of Robert Xie.
Xie was accused of creeping into the home of his brother-in-law Norman Lin and sister-in-law Lily Lin in North Epping in the early hours of July 18, 2009.
Prosecutors alleged that Xie, motivated by bitterness, killed Lin, Lin’s wife Lily, the couple’s two sons Henry, 12, and Terry, nine, and Lily’s sister Irene, with a hammer-like weapon.
Justice Peter Johnson said the new material presented may change the shape and content of the trial in significant ways.
He told the court the defence had requested the jury be discharged, and the Crown had agreed, and he believed it was the appropriate course of action.
He told the jury they were discharged and there would be a new trial with a new jury.
Justice Johnson congratulated them for their hard work and said all the notes they had taken would be destroyed.
Update 09/05/14 Trial Murder Begins
Robert Xie trial: Lin family bludgeoned with hammer-like weapon, faces smashed
By court reporter Jamelle Wells
A man used a hammer-like object tied to his wrist to bludgeon five of his relatives at a house in Sydney, completely smashing the faces of two of them, a court has heard.
Robert Xie, 50, is accused of murdering his brother-in-law Norman Lin, Lin’s wife, Lily, their two boys, aged nine and 12, and Lily’s sister Irene in July 2009.
The court heard each victim was hit on the head with the makeshift weapon, but that Mr Lin and his wife had particularly brutal injuries, with their faces “smashed” and completely destroyed.
The court heard one of the children was beaten up to 18 times in the attack in North Epping, while the other lay dying for up to two hours in the house after being bashed.
Xie has pleaded not guilty to each of the murder charges.
In his opening address, crown prosecutor Mark Tedeschi QC said Xie was motivated by a bitterness towards the adults in his family and that some of the bodies were left in a “bizarre manner”.
The three adults were in their beds when they were attacked.
The court heard there was a “furious commotion” when the boys, Terry and Henry, were killed in their bedroom as one of them was moving around the room.
Mr Tedeschi said Xie knew the layout of the house and killed Norman and Lily first, then Irene followed by the boys.
The prosecutor said Xie was covered in blood after the killings and the following morning disposed of the clothes he wore and cleaned his garage floor.
Xie, a former surgeon, ‘pre-planned’ killings: prosecution
He said Xie was an ear, nose and throat surgeon in China before leaving medicine to manage a factory and moving to Australia in 2002.
He managed a restaurant in Melbourne before moving to Sydney in 2005.
The court heard that the night before the attack, Xie was with the victims at a family dinner at his parents’ house in Merrylands.
The prosecutor said Xie went to their house and killed them some time between midnight and 5am.
Mr Tedeschi said he switched the power off before entering the home and carried out the killings with a minimum of noise.
He said there was no moon that night and hardly any street lighting.
He said Xie probably wore gloves to hide his finger prints, but that bloodied footprints were left in the house.
The court heard the accused disposed of his shoes some time after the murders but that the shoe box was left in his house.
“It was a pre-planned, deliberately executed crime,” Mr Tedeschi told the court.
The prosecution said that since being in custody, Xie had told a fellow prison inmate that on the night of the attack, his wife Kathy was sedated.
He also allegedly told the inmate about his motive, which would be revealed to the jury later.
The trial continues.
POLICE have charged a family member with the high profile brutal killing of the Lin family in Epping in 2009.
Robert Xie, 47, the brother-in-law of Min Lin was arrested at his home in North Epping just after 9am.
Detectives with Strike Force Norburn took Xie to Parramatta Police Station and charged with five counts of murder.
Robert Xie chose not to appear in Parramatta Local Court when the charges were mentioned. He did not make an application for bail and it was formally refused by the magistrate.
The charges were adjourned to Central Local Court on July 1.
Yun Li “Lilly” Lin, 43, her newsagent husband Min Lin, 45, their sons, and the boys’ aunt, Lilly’s sister Irene, were bludgeoned to death as they lay in their beds.
The investigations were launched following the discovery of the bodies inside their home on Boundary Rd at North Epping on the morning of Saturday 18 July 2009.
Check this imposter out (Seeing only the Uncle has been charged at the moment, I have changed the title!)
Her father, Min Lin and mother, Yun Li ‘Lillie’ Lin, were bludgeoned to death at their suburban Boundary Road home, with sons Henry and Terry, and aunt, Yun Bin ‘Irene’ Lin on the morning of Saturday 18 July 2009.
Brenda, 15, was the only member of the immediate family to survive. She was on a school trip in New Caledonia with her Cheltenham Girls classmates, when she learnt the news of the murders via Facebook.
Just after 9am today, Mr Xie was arrested without incident at a home in North Epping, police said.
He was taken to Parramatta Police Station where charges are expected to be laid.
The arrest follows a major investigation undertaken by the NSW Police Force spanning nearly two years.
Strike Force Norburn was established to investigate the circumstances surrounding the deaths and comprises detectives from the State Crime Command’s Homicide Squad, with assistance from the Eastwood Local Area Command.
Homicide Squad Commander, Detective Superintendent Peter Cotter said, “This was a tragic incident and one of the largest single homicides in NSW history.
“The investigators have never given up, and today is testimony to their dedication, and the culmination of 2 years of intense investigation,” Det Supt Cotter said.
Brenda Lin thought killings a cruel joke
August 15, 2009
AT FIRST Brenda Lin thought it was a joke. Then she felt nauseous when she found out her family had been murdered.
Brenda, 15, was on a school vacation in New Caledonia with her Cheltenham Girls classmates, when she learnt the news of the murders via Facebook.
Her parents, Min Lin and Yun Li ”Lillie” Lin, were bludgeoned to death at their North Epping home, with her brothers Henry and Terry, and her aunt, Yun Bin ”Irene” Lin.
Advertisement: Story continues below
”We decided we would use the internet and go on Facebook to see what all our friends were doing in the holidays and talk to them and catch up,” she told Channel Nine. ”And then everyone started asking if I was OK … someone said that my family was murdered and I couldn’t believe it.
”At first I thought it was just like some cruel joke that they were playing on me and it’s not funny. I didn’t think that could happen to my family and at first I guess I felt really dizzy and I don’t know, I was really shocked and I just couldn’t really think or see anything straight.”
It is understood police have had little result from forensic tests as a result of painstaking examination of the Lins’ house, and have yet to establish a firm motive.
Brenda revealed the psychological trauma she had endured since the murders, saying she had still not come to terms with life without her family.
”I still wake up each morning thinking, ‘Oh yeah, Mum and Dad are going to be downstairs making breakfast and Henry and Terry will be playing on the computer or something’,” she said.
”I don’t think right now I realise what has all happened. I think some time soon everything will just come crashing down on me and I’ll finally realise.”
Five bodies found in Epping home
Five bodies discovered in Epping home Another family member discovered bodies Police start murder investigation
HOMICIDE police are piecing together the gruesome details of a possible murder-suicide that has left five people dead, including a mother and her two young sons, in Sydney’s northwest.
The bodies of a woman in her mid-40s, her 12 and nine-year-old sons, a 46-year-old man and 40-year-old woman were found this morning at a house in quiet, suburban Boundary Road, North Epping.
A relative of the dead mother made the devastating discovery.
Police, who say the bodies were found in several rooms, believe the tragedy was “domestic related”.
Part of Boundary Street was cordoned off while detectives canvassed neighbours for information.
Acting Superintendent Stephen Henkel said the possibility of murder-suicide was being investigated and only post-mortem examinations would determine how all five died.
He declined to comment on the relationship between the victims and would not say what, if any, weapons were used.
“It’s going to be a long and protracted inquiry and those details are not available at this time,” he told reporters at the murder scene.
Supt Henkel said officers who attended the scene would be given counselling if needed.
The family member who discovered the bodies had been taken to hospital and was receiving counselling, he said.
’A nice, normal family’
“Any incidents like this is upsetting for any person, not only police, but also other people,” he said.
“Their welfare is being looked after.
“The loss of life in any incident is tragic and this is one of those incidents which is a tragic case.”
A stunned neighbour described the Asian family as “very nice”.
“They’re a family of five, their kids went to the local school,” neighbour Pamela Burgess said.
“They were very nice, they were normal.”
Ms Burgess said she did not see or hear anything untoward over the past 48 hours.
“I bump into them from time to time and nothing seemed out of the ordinary,” she said.