Finally a poor excuse for a man has been charged in relation to the murder of Daniel Morcombe. Living on the edges of society all these years this is the best news ever. Up until now that is, we need to still find where Daniels body is hidden. Stupid filthy dirty rats right this loser deserve life in jail seeing we have NO death sentence. But the part that makes me ill is, if he came forward within days and plead oh drugs, oh hallucinations etc. He would have served half his sentence by now. LETS hope the law has tightened up and this prick stands up and tells the family where the body is…It would NO DOUBT be the best this he has ever done in his life now he has been arrested…
UPDATE 26/09/11 I see this punk of a human had the nerve to whine about being “Inconvenienced, and woken at 5am to appear in court today for mention, only to sit his sorry ass in the holding cell and not appear!!!! You are lucky to still be alive loser, protected from the real men in the house….
UPDATE 12pm: DANIEL Morcombe‘s parents say they are struggling to cope at news of the arrest of an ex-truckie over their son’s murder.
A 41-year-old former truck driver was in custody last night after being charged with murdering Daniel Morcombe, then 13.
The charged man was living in a caravan park in Western Australia until recently.
He was also charged with deprivation of liberty, child stealing, indecent treatment of a child under 16 and interfering with a corpse. He is to appear in the Brisbane Magistrates’ Court tomorrow morning.
Late this morning, his distraught parents told of their anguish to the media, and said they
A clearly distressed Denise Morcombe said Daniel’s remains needed to be found so he could receive a proper burial.
“He needs to be buried with dignity,” Mrs Morcombe said.
Last night, Daniel’s mother was visibly at the news, crying that it was “unfair” and that people needed to understand that their son had been murdered.
Bruce Morecombe said today that he and his wife have been waiting for the day someone was charged over the abduction of their 13-year-old son from a bus stop on the Sunshine Coast in December, 2003.
But he said nothing of Daniel’s has ever been found.
“They certainly haven’t found any of Daniel’s remains or anything significant,” Mr Morcombe said.
But when they were told on Saturday they had mixed emotions.
“It came as quite a shock yesterday afternoon,” Mr Morecombe told reporters outside their home in Palmwoods on the Sunshine Coast.
“It’s a very difficult place Denise and the family find ourselves in.
“It’s a place you don’t want to be in.
“It’s an extremely difficult time and last night was not pleasant at all.”
‘We know the man police have charged’
While the man who has been charged cannot be named until he faces court on Monday, Mr Morcombe said he knew who the accused was.
“We have already seen the person that has been charged,” he said.
“We don’t want to make too much comment about the person that has been charged.
“We are just really pleased where we are and let the legal process take its course.”
He said while the police had made an arrest they still did not know the whereabouts of their son’s remains.
The family is bracing itself that it could take several years for the case to be settled.
“We are aware it may still be a couple of years or even longer before this matter has fully run out,” Mr Morcombe said.
“We have a long wait to go but hopefully we will march towards a guilty verdict from here.
“We are still looking for Daniel and that it’s the personal focus for us to see if we can find Daniel.
“At the end of the day we want the right person for the guilty verdict. ‘Mr Morecombe praised police and said the person who committed the crime picked the wrong family to do it to.
Just an hour after the man’s arrest, Daniel’s parents, received the news they had been waiting for.
It was almost eight years before someone was arrested over the disappearance of their son.
Mr Morcombe said there was no guilty verdict yet and “plenty of work ahead”.
He said the family’s position had always been “step one: find Daniel; step two: find who’s responsible”.
“An area has been identified and is being searched and this is our drive, to find Daniel.”
Mrs Morcombe wept as she told of how difficult this task would be.
“During the floods, this spot had 10m of water through it,” she said.
Mr Morcombe said they had been told specialist excavation equipment would be brought in today.
Over the past eight years, the Morecombe’s have continually sought and gained publicity to highlight the abduction of Daniel.
Daniel disappeared on December 7, 2003 while waiting for a bus beneath an underpass in Woombye on the Sunshine Coast. He’d been out Christmas shopping for his family.
Despite the offer of a $1 million reward, police have had little progress in the case until now.
The investigation into Daniel Morcombe’s disappearance was the biggest in Queensland police history.
WA link to charged man
The man, who has lived in Western Australia for a year, had been living in a caravan park in the eastern Perth suburb of Maddington. He left the state a fortnight ago.
But the Morcombe’s have already seen the man accused of killing their son and spent weeks listening to sickening testimony given by others, some of whom were convicted paedophiles who provided evidence to an inquest into Daniel’s death.
The disappearance of Daniel has been Queensland’s biggest missing persons investigation, with Crime Stoppers in Queensland alone receiving almost 20,000 leads from the public.
His parents’ eight-year campaign to ensure their son was not forgotten made Daniel’s disappearance one of Australia’s most baffling mysteries.
Earlier this month, there was a renewed push to find the teenager with a multi-disciplinary team of about a dozen detectives working full-time on the case.
Mr Anticich said WA Police were exchanging information with police in Queensland on the suspect.
“We are obviously looking into information because we want to trace his steps and movements while he was here,” he said.
“We want to find out the circumstances of the charges over there. We will most likely put together his movements as they were in Western Australia, we will have a close look at where he’s been and piece together as best we can a comprehensive profile of his movements.”
The WA Assistant Commissioner said the man had lived in the state for about a year.
“We have been in contact with Queensland Police over this person for quite some time,” he said.
“It is a difficult situation for us because it is not our investigation, Queensland has the lead and we should be talking directly with them.