Listen to these 2 greedy pigs being covertly recorded whilst having a coffee as the hearings take place trying to cover their asses http://goo.gl/VeKDzh
IBAC hearings continue to expose the greedy culture of Dept of Education fat cats stealing education funds for their own purposes. Classic slush fund and a disgrace. They lie and lie right till the very end. pathetic, every one of them will find themselves on the top of this page during the 6 week hearing. Your careers are ruined.
We were even paying for this scum bag NINO NAPOLI’s pathetic hair pieces…
IBAC: Sacked Education Department executive asked for money for hair treatment, hearing told
Victoria’s anti-corruption commission has heard that sacked Education Department executive Nino Napoli asked for several thousand dollars for hair treatment to be transferred from a company run by his cousins.
The Independent Broad-based Anti-Corruption (IBAC) inquiry is investigating the misuse of thousands of dollars of Victorian Education Department money.
Luigi Squillacioti was a director of three companies allegedly used by Mr Napoli to divert departmental funds.
Testifying at the hearing today, Mr Squillacioti was asked about a payment he made for Mr Napoli for hair.
The counsel assisting, Ian Hill QC asked him “if ‘hair’ was code for something else?”
“He wears a toupe, you must realise that,” Mr Squillacioti replied.
Mr Squillacioti has denied any knowledge of illicit payments made to the companies he ran with his brother Carlo.
The hearing was also told that Mr Napoli was worried that he would go to jail in a conversation recorded a day after investigators searched his cousins’ car repair shop last year.
Audio of the conversations between Mr Napoli and his cousins Carlo and Luigi Squillacioti from last year was played to the hearing.
Those conversations revealed Mr Napoli’s concerns about spreadsheets from numerous companies set up by the Squillaciotis, who ran Cobra Motors in Sunshine North.
- Education executives ‘concerned about incriminating material’ on computers: IBAC
- Sacked education official ‘prepared to fall on his sword’ corruption inquiry told
- Former principal approved payments despite knowing goods were not for his school, IBAC told
- Education official sacked after destroying files to hide them from corruption inquiry
Department of Education funds used to pay for the credit card of Nino Napoli’s wife, inquiry told
May 26, 2015 – 6:23PM
Sacked Education Department official Nino Napoli hid documents in his mother’s roof in the wake of an anti-corruption investigation, an inquiry has heard.
Overseas trips and credit card bills of the wives of former Victorian Education Department executives were covered by the department, a corruption commission heard.
The Independent Broad-Based Anti-Corruption Commission heard the department’s sacked finance chief Nino Napoli asked his brother-in-law Ralph Barba, director of Four Diegos, to inflate an invoice made out to the department by up to $9500 to cover the travel and accommodation costs for the wife of former deputy secretary Jeff Rosewarne in 2009.
Mr Barba said he was told Mr Rosewarne’s personal life was in “turmoil” and “he needed to take his wife overseas with him to try make things better”.
The original $15,241 invoice was in support of Mr Barba’s proposal to link sporting programs at disadvantaged schools with the Manchester United Football Club and the David Beckham Academy.
Mr Barba said he was “shocked” by what Mr Napoli asked him to do, but agreed to falsify the invoice, calling the decision the “biggest mistake of my life”.
It was heard 18 months later, when the commission launched its investigation, Mr Rosewarne asked Mr Barba to pretend that the added sum was actually a personal loan to Mr Rosewarne which would was being repaid.
It was also heard that Mr Napoli asked Mr Barba to pay $6000 for his wife’s trip – a sum he repaid through a distant cousin Daniel Calleja, who ran a company Innovating Visuals, which received tens of thousands of dollars in allegedly false invoices from Victorian schools between 2007-14.
Earlier in the day, the corruption watchdog heard that nearly $5000 of department funds was used to pay off the credit card belonging to Mr Napoli’s wife, Josephine.
In 2010, an amount of $4950 was transferred by the department for printing work to businesses owned by Mr Napoli’s relatives, and then transferred into the account of a company owned by Napoli himself. It was subsequently used to pay off his wife’s credit card, it was heard.
Mr Barba said he was “sickened” by the alleged racket and “felt he was taken advantage of”.
In a recording played to the commission, he said there were two types of people caught up in Mr Napoli’s alleged scheme – those such as himself, who were “dragged” into the scheme and did not benefit from it, and those who “had plenty of time to reflect on what they were doing” and would receive financial benefits.
Earlier in the day, the commission heard that Nino Napoli was “uncomfortable” with the department paying companies owned by people sharing his surname, so cousins with a different surname would invoice the department directly for work performed by and paid to his brother, Robert Napoli.
Nino Napoli got a cut of the profit made from this work, the anti-corruption commission heard.
It was also heard that he hid documents in his mother’s roof in wake of the commission’s investigation as he was “scared” of what the investigators would find.
Under investigation are claimed that 17 companies linked to Nino Napoli and nine of his relatives received more than $2.5 million from Victorian schools between 2007 and 2014.
By Caitlin Guilfoyle
April 29, 2015
A SENIOR Victorian Education Department official, who tore up school records in a panicked fit of rage when he realised the corruption watchdog was sniffing around, has been sacked.
REGIONAL director for the state’s southeast John Allman was axed hours after admitting to dumping the torn documents from “banker” school Silverton Primary School in a Bunnings bin last year.
“I did that in a fit of rage, upset and trauma after the IBAC visit to my home,” he told the Independent Broad-Based Anti-corruption Commission on Wednesday.
Senior Victorian Education Department official John Allman has been sacked after he admitted destroying financial documents because he had something to hide from an anti-corruption investigation.
The Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission (IBAC) is holding an inquiry into alleged corruption and misuse of school funding within the state’s education department.
Mr Allman, who was until today the department’s director for south-east Victoria, told the inquiry he destroyed documents detailing financial transactions with the Silverton Primary School at Noble Park, and disposed of the ripped documents into a bin at a Bunnings store.
Mr Allman said he destroyed the documents after eight IBAC officers visited him with a warrant to search his home.
Earlier Mr Allman had been asked if he had discussed the IBAC investigation with the now-sacked director of school resources, Nino Napoli.
On Monday the hearing was told Mr Napoli allegedly funnelled millions of dollars meant for schools through a web of family-linked businesses.
Counsel assisting IBAC Ian Hill QC asked Mr Allman, “Did you ask Mr Napoli not to make mention of Silverton Primary School?”
Mr Allman replied, “No, I don’t have any memory of such a conversation.”
The hearing was then played an audio recording of a conversation between Mr Napoli and Mr Allman.
Mr Allman was clearly heard saying, “Mate, nothing’s come up at Silverton so don’t fucking mention that.”
‘I went into a panic’ after visit from IBAC
Under questioning, Mr Allman admitted Silverton Primary School was his banker school and hundreds of thousands of dollars had been transferred to the primary school for discretionary spending.
The so-called banker schools system has been described as a “slush fund” for the discretionary spending of department executives.
He said he kept documents detailing the transactions with Silverton Primary at his home but he could not find the file.
Mr Hill said “We’d like to look at it Mr Allman, but you can’t tell us where it is.”
I did have something to hide. The banker school arrangement has never been a legitimate practice of the education department.John Allman, former Education Department regional director
Mr Allman then admitted destroying documents.
“I did throw out a lot of documents after the IBAC visit.” Mr Allman replied.
“I thought it was better for me not to have any such documents in my possession.
“I went into somewhat of a panic after eight IBAC officers visited my home. I destroyed the documents.
“I did have something to hide. The banker school arrangement has never been a legitimate practice of the education department, so I did have something to hide.”
Principal suspended over wine purchase claims
Yesterday it emerged the former acting secretary of the Victorian Department of Education, Jeff Rosewarne, used funds to purchase two coffee machines, $7,000 worth of Italian wine and pay for an overseas trip with his wife and Mr Napoli.
The hearing was told the wine was paid for by Chandler Park Primary School, and bought from the son of the school’s principal, Peter Paul.
The Education Department said it had now suspended Mr Paul following the allegations.
“We are deeply concerned about what we heard at IBAC over the past two days,” a department spokesman said.
“Peter Paul has been suspended while the department fully investigates his conduct.
“Once our investigation is complete, we will be in a position to take any action that may be appropriate.”
The hearing is expected to last six weeks.
From other news sites:
April 27, 2015