Simon Gittany gets 26 years’ jail (min 18) for murdering Lisa Harnum


The previous post can be found here
Gets 26 years, min of 18 years before parole. Inadequate in my view. new girlfriend Rachelle Louise was not in court, ching ching,
If you have a spare 30 minutes watch the first part of the $150,000 interview and story right here folks, a real eye opener
17/02/14 update new interview with the 2 detectives who saw his violent side nearly 20 years ago, when Gittany bit part of one detectives ear OFF while being arrested…yeah the guy Rachelle said would make a fantastic dad.Until the little kid piddled his pants or something….

16/02/14 UPDATED WITH 2ND PART AFTER THE FIRST BELOW

GUILTY SIGN

Hopefully she will collect a big fat cheque today from TV today, pocket it, and never utter his name again, gotcha Gittany

Official Sentence summary  from today can be found below, full transcript to follow once released folks. (click for bigger view)

Gittany Sentence Summary 11-02-14

Simon Gittany sentenced to at least 18 years for fiancée Lisa Harnum’s murder

Murderer Simon Gittany’s violent past revealed

Simon Gittany has been sentenced to 26 years’ jail, with a non-parole period of 18 years, for the murder of his fiancée Lisa Harnum.

Simon Gittany and Lisa Harnum. Sentenced to 26 years for tossing her off a highrise balcony

Simon Gittany and Lisa Harnum. Sentenced to 26 years for tossing her off a highrise balcony

Gittany threw Ms Harnum to her death from the balcony of their 15th floor apartment in inner Sydney on a Saturday morning in July 2011.

NSW Supreme Court Justice Lucy McCallum, who presided over Gittany’s judge-only trial last year, today also handed down his punishment.

Justice McCallum said that jailing Gittany for life would be excessive, but his family in the court’s public gallery still erupted when she delivered the sentence.

“In the name of Jesus, that will never happen,” one family member yelled.

The judge ordered the family members to be removed from the court.

Earlier Justice McCallum had described the cruelty of the crime.

“Ms Harnum must have been in a state of complete terror in the moments before her death,” she said.

Justice McCallum described Gittany as “arrogant” and said he had punished Ms Harnum during their relationship for “small acts of defiance” such as wearing her hair down.

The court heard about Gittany’s previous potential for violence, including an incident in which he bit off part of a policeman’s ear in 1994.

“It has a troubling resonance with the present offence,” Justice McCallum said.

The judge told the court that she had excluded evidence from a surprise prosecution witness last week – a former colleague of Ms Harnum who said Gittany had previously threatened to kill Ms Harnum and make it look like suicide.

The businessman’s current girlfriend, Rachelle Louise, who has fiercely defended Gittany and has been by his side for much of his trial, was not in court for the sentencing.

Gittany himself was led up from the cells beneath the courtroom, but showed no emotion as he listened to the judge’s comments.

AMY DALE
The Daily Telegraph
February 07, 2014

BALCONY killer Simon Gittany could spend 20 years in jail for the “cold and calculating” murder of his fiancee – a killing he almost successfully portrayed as suicide, his sentencing was told yesterday.

Justice Lucy McCallum also indicated the decision of Gittany’s family to “embark on a campaign” that doggedly protests his innocence over the killing of Lisa Harnum could be viewed as “an impediment to rehabilitation”.

Senior Crown Prosecutor Mark Tedeschi QC told the court it could be “very much guided” by the standard non-parole period for murder in NSW, which is 20 years.

In his closing sentencing submissions, Mr Tedeschi said Gittany had used “the height and gravity” of the 15th storey balcony as a weapon in throwing Ms Harnum to her death seconds after she had been “screaming for her life”.

Rachelle Louise arrives for the second day of sentencing submissions in boyfriend Simon Gittany’s case.

Rachelle Louise has been a very vocal supporter of Simon Gittany.

Rachelle Louise seemed to be in a good mood when she arrived at court today.

“Were it not for the observations of (witness) Joshua Rathmell and were it not for the pinhole camera which captured the offender dragging the deceased back inside … it was a cold and calculating way of killing her in a manner which would have enabled him to pass it off as suicide,” Mr Tedeschi said.

Justice McCallum said Gittany had “a defiant denial of guilt” and, along with his family and girlfriend Rachelle Louise, appeared determined to “maintain the rage until (in his mind) justice is done”.

Prosecutors say Gittany has shown no contrition or remorse, which makes it hard to assess his rehabilitation prospects, but his barrister has asked the court to hand down a sentence “significantly lower” than the 20-year minimum.

Barrister Philip Strickland SC said Gittany’s criminal record, which includes a conviction for biting part of a policeman’s ear off in 1994, shouldn’t be given much weight upon sentence.

The court heard the relationship he has with Ms Louise has “no features at all of an abusive relationship”.

More than 40 character references were tendered to the court on Gittany’s behalf, with Justice McCallum saying some appear “to be asking for mercy on the basis I might be wrong (in the guilty verdict).”

Mr Strickland said references spoke of a gentle Gittany with dreams of being a priest.

Mr Tedeschi said the references suggest “the offender is two completely different people. One person to his family and a completely different person presenting in the relationship (with Lisa Harnum).

About these ads

Lin family murders-Robert Xie trial begins-update trial aborted


10/06/14 major update trial aborted after jury discharged

Robert Xie: Murder trial aborted as new evidence emerges over Lin family killings

1pm 10/06/14

 

A Supreme Court judge has aborted the trial of the man accused of murdering five members of the same family in Sydney.

 

Discharging the jury, the judge said new evidence had emerged late last month which may make a substantial difference to the trial of Robert Xie.

 

Xie was accused of creeping into the home of his brother-in-law Norman Lin and sister-in-law Lily Lin in North Epping in the early hours of July 18, 2009.

 

Prosecutors alleged that Xie, motivated by bitterness, killed Lin, Lin’s wife Lily, the couple’s two sons Henry, 12, and Terry, nine, and Lily’s sister Irene, with a hammer-like weapon.

 

Justice Peter Johnson said the new material presented may change the shape and content of the trial in significant ways.

 

He told the court the defence had requested the jury be discharged, and the Crown had agreed, and he believed it was the appropriate course of action.

 

He told the jury they were discharged and there would be a new trial with a new jury.

 

Justice Johnson congratulated them for their hard work and said all the notes they had taken would be destroyed.

Update 09/05/14 Trial Murder Begins

Robert Xie trial: Lin family bludgeoned with hammer-like weapon, faces smashed

By court reporter Jamelle Wells

Updated 1 hour 6 minutes ago

A man used a hammer-like object tied to his wrist to bludgeon five of his relatives at a house in Sydney, completely smashing the faces of two of them, a court has heard.

Robert Xie, 50, is accused of murdering his brother-in-law Norman Lin, Lin’s wife, Lily, their two boys, aged nine and 12, and Lily’s sister Irene in July 2009.

The court heard each victim was hit on the head with the makeshift weapon, but that Mr Lin and his wife had particularly brutal injuries, with their faces “smashed” and completely destroyed.

The court heard one of the children was beaten up to 18 times in the attack in North Epping, while the other lay dying for up to two hours in the house after being bashed.

Xie has pleaded not guilty to each of the murder charges.

In his opening address, crown prosecutor Mark Tedeschi QC said Xie was motivated by a bitterness towards the adults in his family and that some of the bodies were left in a “bizarre manner”.

The three adults were in their beds when they were attacked.

The court heard there was a “furious commotion” when the boys, Terry and Henry, were killed in their bedroom as one of them was moving around the room.

Mr Tedeschi said Xie knew the layout of the house and killed Norman and Lily first, then Irene followed by the boys.

The prosecutor said Xie was covered in blood after the killings and the following morning disposed of the clothes he wore and cleaned his garage floor.

Xie, a former surgeon, ‘pre-planned’ killings: prosecution

He said Xie was an ear, nose and throat surgeon in China before leaving medicine to manage a factory and moving to Australia in 2002.

He managed a restaurant in Melbourne before moving to Sydney in 2005.

The court heard that the night before the attack, Xie was with the victims at a family dinner at his parents’ house in Merrylands.

The prosecutor said Xie went to their house and killed them some time between midnight and 5am.

 

Mr Tedeschi said he switched the power off before entering the home and carried out the killings with a minimum of noise.

He said there was no moon that night and hardly any street lighting.

He said Xie probably wore gloves to hide his finger prints, but that bloodied footprints were left in the house.

The court heard the accused disposed of his shoes some time after the murders but that the shoe box was left in his house.

“It was a pre-planned, deliberately executed crime,” Mr Tedeschi told the court.

The prosecution said that since being in custody, Xie had told a fellow prison inmate that on the night of the attack, his wife Kathy was sedated.

He also allegedly told the inmate about his motive, which would be revealed to the jury later.

The trial continues.

POLICE have charged a family member with the high profile brutal killing of the Lin family in Epping in 2009.

In shock …(Pigs arse… The sunglasses should of been a give away) Epping newsagent Min’s Mr Lin’s sister Kathy Lin and husband Robert Xie speak about discovering the five dead family members murdered inside the house in North Epping


Robert Xie, 47, the brother-in-law of Min Lin was arrested at his home in North Epping just after 9am.

Detectives with Strike Force Norburn took Xie to Parramatta Police Station and charged with five counts of murder.

Robert Xie chose not to appear in Parramatta Local Court when the charges were mentioned. He did not make an application for bail and it was formally refused by the magistrate.

The charges were adjourned to Central Local Court on July 1.

Yun Li “Lilly” Lin, 43, her newsagent husband Min Lin, 45, their sons, and the boys’ aunt, Lilly’s sister Irene, were bludgeoned to death as they lay in their beds.

The investigations were launched following the discovery of the bodies inside their home on Boundary Rd at North Epping on the morning of Saturday 18 July 2009.

Check this imposter out (Seeing only the Uncle has been charged at the moment, I have changed the title!)

Her father, Min Lin and mother, Yun Li ‘Lillie’ Lin, were bludgeoned to death at their suburban Boundary Road home, with sons Henry and Terry, and aunt, Yun Bin ‘Irene’ Lin on the morning of Saturday 18 July 2009.

Brenda, 15, was the only member of the immediate family to survive. She was on a school trip in New Caledonia with her Cheltenham Girls classmates, when she learnt the news of the murders via Facebook.

Just after 9am today, Mr Xie was arrested without incident at a home in North Epping, police said.

He was taken to Parramatta Police Station where charges are expected to be laid.

The arrest follows a major investigation undertaken by the NSW Police Force spanning nearly two years.

Strike Force Norburn was established to investigate the circumstances surrounding the deaths and comprises detectives from the State Crime Command’s Homicide Squad, with assistance from the Eastwood Local Area Command.

Homicide Squad Commander, Detective Superintendent Peter Cotter said, “This was a tragic incident and one of the largest single homicides in NSW history.

“The investigators have never given up, and today is testimony to their dedication, and the culmination of 2 years of intense investigation,” Det Supt Cotter said.

                     Brenda Lin thought killings a cruel joke

Jonathan Dart

August 15, 2009

AT FIRST Brenda Lin thought it was a joke. Then she felt nauseous when she found out her family had been murdered.

Brenda, 15, was on a school vacation in New Caledonia with her Cheltenham Girls classmates, when she learnt the news of the murders via Facebook.

Her parents, Min Lin and Yun Li ”Lillie” Lin, were bludgeoned to death at their North Epping home, with her brothers Henry and Terry, and her aunt, Yun Bin ”Irene” Lin.

Advertisement: Story continues below

”We decided we would use the internet and go on Facebook to see what all our friends were doing in the holidays and talk to them and catch up,” she told Channel Nine. ”And then everyone started asking if I was OK … someone said that my family was murdered and I couldn’t believe it.

”At first I thought it was just like some cruel joke that they were playing on me and it’s not funny. I didn’t think that could happen to my family and at first I guess I felt really dizzy and I don’t know, I was really shocked and I just couldn’t really think or see anything straight.”

It is understood police have had little result from forensic tests as a result of painstaking examination of the Lins’ house, and have yet to establish a firm motive.

Brenda revealed the psychological trauma she had endured since the murders, saying she had still not come to terms with life without her family.

”I still wake up each morning thinking, ‘Oh yeah, Mum and Dad are going to be downstairs making breakfast and Henry and Terry will be playing on the computer or something’,” she said.

”I don’t think right now I realise what has all happened. I think some time soon everything will just come crashing down on me and I’ll finally realise.”

Five bodies found in Epping home 

Five bodies discovered in Epping home Another family member discovered bodies Police start murder investigation

HOMICIDE police are piecing together the gruesome details of a possible murder-suicide that has left five people dead, including a mother and her two young sons, in Sydney’s northwest.

The bodies of a woman in her mid-40s, her 12 and nine-year-old sons, a 46-year-old man and 40-year-old woman were found this morning at a house in quiet, suburban Boundary Road, North Epping.

A relative of the dead mother made the devastating discovery.

Police, who say the bodies were found in several rooms, believe the tragedy was “domestic related”.

Investigation begins

Part of Boundary Street was cordoned off while detectives canvassed neighbours for information.

Acting Superintendent Stephen Henkel said the possibility of murder-suicide was being investigated and only post-mortem examinations would determine how all five died.

He declined to comment on the relationship between the victims and would not say what, if any, weapons were used.

“It’s going to be a long and protracted inquiry and those details are not available at this time,” he told reporters at the murder scene.

Supt Henkel said officers who attended the scene would be given counselling if needed.

The family member who discovered the bodies had been taken to hospital and was receiving counselling, he said.

’A nice, normal family’

“Any incidents like this is upsetting for any person, not only police, but also other people,” he said.

“Their welfare is being looked after.

“The loss of life in any incident is tragic and this is one of those incidents which is a tragic case.”

A stunned neighbour described the Asian family as “very nice”.

“They’re a family of five, their kids went to the local school,” neighbour Pamela Burgess said.

“They were very nice, they were normal.”

Ms Burgess said she did not see or hear anything untoward over the past 48 hours.

“I bump into them from time to time and nothing seemed out of the ordinary,” she said.


Enhanced by Zemanta