We have lost another 2 Aussies murdered in the war against terrorism in Afghanistan, I see this as a crime and therefore and honouring those blokes by putting them on here.I will gather information on all the others killed overseas and put them here too, which now totals 20 good Aussie men…
TWO Australian soldiers have been killed and two others wounded in Afghanistan.
Defence Minister John Faulkiner announced the sad news at 10.30 this morning in Canberra.
A statement from Defence said the next of kin of those involved in the incident had been notified.
The soldiers were hit by an explosive device.
The dead soldiers have been named as Private Grant Kirby, a 35-year-old father of two, and Private Thomas Dale, who was 21.
It was the first tour of duty in Afghanistan for both men.
The Acting Chief of Defence Force, Lieutenant General David Hurley, said the soldiers died at 10.30am Afghan time on Friday.
They were killed in action while standing near their Bushmaster vehicle when an explosive device was activated.
The deaths of the two soldiers brings the number of troops killed during the election campaign to three.
Twenty Australian soldiers had died in the Afghanistan war. Nine have died this year – three during the Federal Election campaign.
The most recent casualty was Jason Brown, killed in a fire-fight with insurgents.