If this is true – I would like to thank Pakistan for ruining the game of cricket for those of us that still enjoyed it. Whatever credibility this sport had, is now almost non-existent. The sub-continent have turned this game into a farce. (upset newspaper reader) How true that comment is, how can all the match fixing stories continue to be ignored? They want up so pay top dollar to go watch a game of cheats? No wonder crowds are falling away, there is no credibility in the effort any more
British police have already arrested a man over the claims.
“Following information received from the News of the World, we have arrested a 35-year-old man on suspicion of conspiracy to defraud bookmakers,” said a spokesman for London’s Metropolitan Police.
News of the World, Britain’s biggest-selling newspaper, alleged that two Pakistan bowlers delivered three blatant no-balls to order.
The weekly tabloid said it gave about $260,000 to a middle man who correctly told them precisely when the deliveries would be bowled.
The newspaper published images and dialogue from the encounter and a picture of what it said was one of the promised no-balls on Friday.
Pakistan collapsed spectacularly yet again in the series as England closed in on an innings victory on Saturday.
“I can confirm that we are aware of the allegations and Scotland Yard police are with us now at the hotel and we are helping them with their enquiries,” Pakistan’s team manager Yawar Saeed said.
“This is as much as I can say at the moment.”
- Man arrested over England v Pakistan cricket match-fixing allegations (guardian.co.uk)
- Pakistan at centre of alleged match -fixing controversy (telegraph.co.uk)
- Breaking News: Pakistan Cricket Scandal As Star Players Win £150,000 (bleacherreport.com)
- Arrest Over Cricket ‘Match-Fixing’ At Lords (news.sky.com)
- England scent blood as Pakistan’s wickets go a-tumbling (guardian.co.uk)