Indonesian authorities have approved the transfer of two convicted Australian drug smugglers from their Bali prison, in preparation for execution.
The head of the Bali prosecutor’s office, Momock Bambang Samirso, confirmed he received permission from the Justice and Human Rights Ministry on Wednesday night to transfer Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran out of Kerobokan prison, so they can be taken away for execution.
There will be a meeting today to discuss the final logistics and then coordinate with other prisons to have the men relocated.
Mr Momock said the execution would be done as soon as possible.
“The permit to transfer the prisoners has been received. We are going to transfer [them] and conduct execution as soon as possible,” Mr Momock said.
“We’re not delaying execution … the attorney-general’s office asked to do it as soon as possible.”
He has said the families of the two men would be notified before the transfer goes ahead, giving them the opportunity to visit for the last time.
“We will inform the families and inmates a few days before the transfer,” Mr Momock said.
The ABC understands officials have already been speaking to airport authorities and the national carrier Garuda Indonesia, which has apparently agreed to be involved in flying the two men to where the executions will take place.
Indonesian attorney-general Muhammad Prasetyo will make the official announcement that the executions are to go ahead three days beforehand.
The two men, the ringleaders of the so-called Bali Nine group of heroin smugglers, have been denied presidential pardons and are due to face a firing squad this month.
Indonesian president Joko Widodo, who has a policy of denying clemency for all drug offenders, said he had rejected 64 bids for clemency and was not forgiving any drug criminal.
But lawyers for Chan and Sukumaran are still attempting to appeal the president’s decision to refuse them clemency without considering their cases.
An appeal was filed in the State Administrative Court in East Jakarta on Wednesday in the hope of forcing Mr Widodo to reconsider the cases individually.
Julie Bishop and Tanya Plibersek call for stay of execution
In a show of unity, Foreign Affairs Minister Julie Bishop moved a motion in Parliament, seconded by Opposition counterpart Tanya Plibersek, calling for a stay of execution for the two men.
Ms Bishop said the Government would continue to make representations in an effort to save the pair’s lives.
“Over 55 personal representations at Ministerial and Prime Ministerial level have been made,” she said.
“High-profile Australian officials and members of the business community have made discreet overtures to their influential Indonesian contacts.
“Our officials in Jakarta have made – and are continuing to make – respectful, tireless and targeted diplomatic representations at the highest levels.”
However, Indonesia’s foreign minister Retno Marsudi said she had explained the Indonesian government’s stance on executing drug smugglers to Ms Bishop.
“I told Julie that this is not against a country, this is not against a national of a certain country but this is against crime, it’s against an extraordinary crime,” she said.
Last month Indonesia executed six people, including five foreigners, for drug offences.
Melissa Parke renews her plea for pair to be spared
Federal Labor MP Melissa Parke has also renewed her plea for Chan and Sukumaran to be spared from execution.
“These young men are rehabilitated and reformed, they’re helping others every day, they could be a vital part of Indonesia’s campaign to educate young people about the dangers of drugs,” she said.
“We honour the wonderful human beings that they have become and we’re very hopeful about the things that they can still do in their lives and we send them our love, our hope and our courage.”
The former United Nations lawyer said the pair’s good behaviour should provide a legal basis for a stay of execution.
“Indonesia’s own constitutional court has not only concluded – based on a huge amount of evidence – that the death penalty is not a deterrent, but it has also recommended that the death penalty should be able to be amended where a prisoner demonstrates good behaviour for 10 years,” she said.
Ms Parke also criticised the Australian Federal Police for alerting Indonesian officials to the Bali Nine in the first place.
“That was a terrible mistake, AFP guidelines have been amended now and I think that we would all hope that that would never happen again,” she said.
Ms Parke has written a letter signed by 111 federal MPs to the Indonesian Government asking for men’s death sentences to be lifted.
Chief Government whip Philip Ruddock, Chief Opposition whip Chris Hayes, and Greens leader Senator Christine Milne were among the co-signatories.
- Bishop and Plibersek make emotional pleas to Indonesia to spare Bali Nine pair
- Lex Lasry adds voice to calls for clemency for Bali Nine pair
- Bali Nine pair’s last-ditch legal challenge dismissed
- Confusion in Indonesia over whether Bali Nine executions will be delayed
- More than 100 MPs write to request mercy for Bali Nine pair
- Mother of Bali Nine inmate makes impassioned plea for son’s life
- Australian pastor says Bali Nine death row pair still have hope
- Bali Nine lawyers launch rare appeal against Indonesian president’s decision
- Bali Nine pair beg for their lives in letter to Indonesian government