None of this sounds like multiple coincidences does it? Grandmother or not, What sort of person would allegedly and continually try to kill children in their care and not expect to be caught. I shudder to think what may of happened if this woman was not arrested prior to the festivities of tonight! She can’t be named but the dad(s) are outraged as they should be that this has been allowed to fester over several years after suspicions were first raised. More to come
(Please not this is not the same grandmother that is charged with murdering 8 family members recently. This is another tragic crime in QLD.)
Police this month revealed they were investigating the deaths of two boys, one aged three years and the other seven months, at the Morayfield home, as well as the attempted murder of two boys, aged 11 and nine, in a fire.
Police will allege the 11-year-old boy woke on two separate occasions to the grandmother trying to smother him in his bed. They will claim she used a pillow and a tea towel in her attempts to murder the boy.
They said both deaths and the fire occurred when the grandmother was at the house.
It is understood investigators will rely on the boy’s version of events – a version denied by the grandmother.
Detectives yesterday confirmed they were continuing their investigations into the suspected murders of the two younger children – one being the woman’s seven-month-old grandson.
“Today is one step, there are still further steps to be taken in the investigation, so today is just one step,” Detective Acting Inspector Ben Fadian said.
The Courier-Mail can reveal police charged the woman with interfering with a corpse under the belief she lied about how and where the youngest boy died.
Police renewed their investigation into the death of the three-year-old boy, who died in July 2013 from a suspected infection, following a fire at the family’s Morayfield home on February 27.
The two older boys claimed to have been trapped inside their bedroom during a fire that broke out when they were being cared for by their grandmother. Police enlisted the help of the fire brigade to recreate the fire in an effort to determine why the boys had been unable to escape from the bedroom.
“Investigations to date show the children’s escape from the bedroom was intentionally impeded,” police said.
The father of the two older boys said he was horrified to learn the woman had been charged with attempting to murder one of his sons on three occasions.
“No one has called me,” he said. “I have no contact details for them (the boys). It’s pretty bad.”
The three-year-old boy died on July 27 after suffering flu-like symptoms. He was taken to hospital but went into cardiac arrest.
On September 27, seven months after the fire, the children’s mother found the baby boy dead in his cot.
The grandmother is believed to have told police she put the child to bed with a bottle the night before and got up at 2am to check on him after hearing him stir.
She said she woke at 7am to the sounds of the boy’s mother “screaming hysterically”.
The boy’s father said this month that he believed his mother was not capable of killing “anything”.
He said he woke one morning to the news his son was dead.
Yesterday, the man walked out of his house carrying a sign with the words “private property no entry”, saying he would expose “lies” and “corruption” in the case.
Police yesterday questioned the children’s mother about whether she had taken steps to protect the children.
Solicitor Tim Meehan, from Bosscher Lawyers, said the grandmother was “assisting police”.
Additional reporting Chris McMahon and Trenton Akers
Memories of laughter where there are children no more
NESTLED among stands of trees and tropical palms, at the end of a winding drive, is Brisbane’s “house of horrors”.
It’s a place where boys once laughed and played. Where a large block of garden provided endless room to run and chase. But there were no children behind the wire fence of the Morayfield home yesterday – the home where police suspect two children were murdered and another two locked in a fire.
It was once home to the children’s grandmother. Police say she was there when the three-year-old boy died.
She was there when a fire broke out inside the house, threatening two boys in their beds. And she was there when the youngest – an infant of seven months – died at night.
She was the last to see both boys alive and the only adult home when the fire started.
The woman’s son – and the father of the youngest boy – walked the neglected yard to place a sign at the property’s front gate. He said he would expose “lies” and “corruption” in the case.
In a previous interview, the man said his mother was a beautiful kind-hearted person.
“I highly believe my mother would not be capable of killing anything,” he said. “Why would she all of a sudden? She is still the same person from 20 years ago.”
The sign he held yesterday – “private property no entry” – warned media to keep away. It was a repeat of an earlier warning when a visitor threatened to assault journalists waiting in the street.
The home’s four bedrooms are no longer home to those who played and slept there. Two little boys are dead. Two older boys are now in a “safe house”.
The Courier-Mail was once invited inside, viewing the small room where the fire took hold. There was no sign of the flames the family claimed began when someone threw an object through the window.
The grandmother has denied any wrongdoing – both with the fire and the deaths of the two boys
Cops investigating murder of two children and attempted murder of another two children from same Morayfield family
December 12, 2014
POLICE are investigating the murder of two children and attempted murder of another two children from the same family at Morayfield, on Brisbane’s northern outskirts.
Acting Detective Superintendent Damien Hansen said nobody has been charged yet.
On July 27, 2013, a three-year-old child was reported dead at the home.
On February 27, 2014, there was a suspicious fire in which another two children, aged 9 and 11, had their escape blocked.
He said the QFES has assisted in a reconstruction of the burning bedroom where the two kids where sleeping.
“Through our investigations with Queensland Fire and Rescue … forensically we are able to say the fire was deliberately lit,” Det Supt Hansen said.
“The children couldn’t open the door at the time.”
“The children were inside the room and could not exit the room.”
One of the children suffered burns to their lower limbs and was treated at the Caboolture Hospital. Both children were treated for smoke inhalation along with other occupants of the house.
Then, on 27 September, 2014, a seven-month-old was found dead.
Det Supt Hansen said the investigation escalated from police “linking all three incidents”.
“It was certainly something more than a coincidence,” he said.
He said the homicide squad was involved and the Coroner had also agreed to re-investigate the deaths as suspicious deaths.
“(They were) initially thought to be SIDS deaths,” he said.
He said the parents had been cooperative.
“I regard murder as one of the most serious offences, if not the most serious offence that can occur. To have it happen to defenceless children is just mind-boggling,” he said.
“They are all from the same family, with all the incidents occurring at the same home.”
“I can’t name the family for legal reasons or give the address but I am making an appeal that anybody who knows this family, anybody who happened to be in the Morayfield area on the evening of February 27, 2014, and saw anything suspicious … if they can contact investigators through crime stoppers.”
Police have released a video as part of the investigation, they say, “in order to bring this investigation to a close”.
Det Supt Hansen said: “We are very confident we have the right line of inquiry with this investigation and will have a conclusion in the near future.”
“The recreation of the burning bedroom is a key focus for our investigation and it is where we have developed strong leads and our main focus.”
Police say the investigation has been comprehensive and protracted and has been led by the Homicide Group with the assistance of the Child Trauma Taskforce and regional and forensic investigators.